Pondering in Paraguay

Pondering in Paraguay
Questions, Comments, and Connections on my crazy new life abroad

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fuerza Paraguay

I´m anything but I fair-weather fan. My history of sport team selection can attest that I will remain dedicated and optimistic despite the burdens I´m given by my teams. Battle Mountain Huskey Football 2002 to 2005; losses: over five hundred ( I may be rounding) Wins: negligible. Winter nights in Colorado with a biting chill under zero, and yet I, as well as my fellow classmates, showed up to every Friday night game to watch us...well, lose. But I equally contributed to my share of losses as a Battle Mountain representative. I proudly was defeated on the basketball court for two years, and perservered four years on a golf team which was closer acquainted with losing than winning. I therefore made an easy transition into the black and gold of the Colorado Buffalos, after comleting high school. My freshman year, when we started out on a losing streak I was all too familiar with sulking home after a loss. The University of Colorado Boulder is known for a party school, but more accuratly for having a drinking problem. I can directly correlate the high amount of drinking to the amount of games lost. In essence, we drank our pain away. The Denver Broncos hasn´t been the easiest team to root for either. Elway was easy to stand behind; however, Griese, Cutler, and Orton weren´t as easy to support. But year after year I´ve worn my blue and orange and unfailingly filled my wardrobe with Bronco t-shirts, hats, sweaters, and scarves. But I´ve served my time cheering on a losing team, and now it´s my turn to support a winning one.

Was it not destiny that I was sent with Peace Corps to a South American country during a World Cup? There is no time like the present to decide that watching soccer is entertaining, and there is no event like Mundial to decide to be a proud supporter of Paraguay. There is exactly 48 hours until Paraguay will destroy their opponents in order to progress. If we don´t win this match the country will be left in defeat, but if we win...it will be the biggest celebration that I´ve ever witnessed or will witness. After long contemplation I purchased my jersey last Tuesday after we beat Japan with five to four penalty kick completions. The schools didn´t have classes, the buses stopped running, the streets were closed for tailgating, Shakira blasted over the raido station, and the replays from the game were in every street coner and supermarket. This country bleeds red and white, and with them I put my heart and soul on the line to see if I´ve finally chosen a team that wont let me dowm. Fuerza Paraguay!

2 comments:

  1. sam- keep writting, i think you can make this into a book. You can write about sad things to. You don't just have to write about your day- write posts about your host family or that cute school teacher or going to the waterfalls with erin. You should just write as frequently as you can. I think it is hugly therapy and wonderfuly entertaining. I love when you put in conversations like that because i can just picture you interacting with all these crazy paraguyains. I'm ruiting for paraguay this week they play spain at 2 tomorrow.... best of luck
    Love and miss you
    Your sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second your sister about a potential book in the process...you're a phenomenal writer!! the other courtney davis in your life

    ReplyDelete