Pondering in Paraguay

Pondering in Paraguay
Questions, Comments, and Connections on my crazy new life abroad

Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Little Time, A Lot To take in

I made it! Well, so far.. . I wish I had some witty and clever things to say, but its hot out and I`m multitasking, which is inhibiting my creativity. I don´t think it´s quite sunk in that I´m here. I was assigned my host family a couple days ago, and got really lucky. Meanwhile other volunteers are eating rice and maybe some bread, I`m chowing down on meat dishes, fresh fruits and salads. The host dad said that Americans are seen eating salads on T.V. and therefore I have been served salads despite the fact that Paraguayans don´t eat them. I don´t want to glorify the situation becuase the house I live in is very modest, but I do have some perks. I have a pool; in the sense that I have a body of water in a cement slab out in the yard. But the water is clean, so I´ve been using it. The sheep also seem to like drinking out of it. I also have a ceiling fan, which is key to my happiness. It´s been HOT to say the least. During the day the water in the pool is too warm to use, but in the late afternoon it is cool enough to play in. There are always people playing in the yard. I´m under the impression that they´re all cousins or aunts or something along those lines. The girls play in the pool, meanwhile all the boys play soccer. Everyone else chills and drinks Terere. It`s kinda the thing to do.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having fun. Glad to hear you have a few perks.
    Went to see Austin today, and everything seems good.
    love alway,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sammy, Thanks for the phone call it's really good to hear your voice. xoxoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sammy! I'm sooooo glad to hear you are there safe and sound! What did I tell you about your host family... nothing to worry about :) you will do great. Enzo and I miss you already, but I read him your blog so he keeps up with his aunt Sammy too.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Valentines Day Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi sam, glad you have a nice host family.
    love Gramps
    ps happy valentines day

    ReplyDelete
  6. I´m so glad that Enzo is being kept in the loop. It is also really great to hear from you Amy. I´m so glad to hear that Austin is doing well. I really miss you guys. Grandpa I´ll call you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi love. Happy late valentines day! Did anyone know what that was? ha. I am glad to hear that you have made it and have a wonderful host family! I hope you keep us up to date frequently so that I do not have to much space. I have to tell you about my funny story of the day. So I was walking to the St J from the bus stop this morning and my heal on my shoe broke! just like in confessions of a shopaholic but it really happened! Who knew that really happens? Just picture it. I had the most confused look on my face I could not figure out what was happening. I miss you a ton, and can not wait to keep reading about your great ventures!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to here you made it safe and that you have a great family!!! I can hardly believe that this adventure has already begun! I would say have fun...but I know you already will :) miss you
    love Courtney Lynn

    ReplyDelete