Pondering in Paraguay

Pondering in Paraguay
Questions, Comments, and Connections on my crazy new life abroad

Monday, February 22, 2010

I Learn GUARANI

Due to the fact that I am "spanglish" speaking gringo, I often find myself in comical situations. On one particular afternoon I was sitting around with my host family and visiting relatives.(Everyone in our town is somehow related to one another.) In an attempt to speak Spanish I frequently substitute English words for Spanish words beyond my capaciity. Somehow the subject of tattoos and peircings came up. I asked Walter (who is Oli, my host sister´s, boyfriend)if he had a tattoo. Here is a recollection of the following conversation;

Sam: Tienes (do you have) a tattoo?
Walter: No, but Oli does!
( Meanwhile everyone is dying laughing)
Naturally Stephanie (another volunteer) and I believe that this reaction is the result of an embarrasing and funny tattoo that Oli has.
Stephanie: Oh come on, just let us see it.
(There is more laughing, which confuses both Stephanie and I.)
Oli: Tattoo just so happens to translate into a Quarani word.
Waltur: Yeah it means vagina!

7 comments:

  1. way to go sammy!!!! so proud :) Andrew says hello!!!!
    love Courty

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh that's pretty funny. I'm going crazy from to much studying. that cheered me up, and you though you wouldn't be funny in spanish- apparently you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't sam,but I likeyours
    Gramps

    ReplyDelete
  4. And embarazada does not mean embarassed in Spanish.
    Nicholas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sam, I really don't know how thig Blog stuff works, but was wondering if you felt the earth quake and are okay?? Aunt Margie called this morning wondering about you. So I am going to give her your blog site. Love you and am thinking of you. Aunt Robyn

    PS Maybe you should just stick with English!! Very Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sammy,
    We spent the week end in Kansas City with Court just hanging out. We were also getting phone calls about how close you would be to the earthquake? Could you feel anything from it?
    How was the week spent with going to check out the Peace Corps volunteer? Where did you go? Let us know. Have you taken any pictures that you could post and show us?
    Love you Mom xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete