Pondering in Paraguay

Pondering in Paraguay
Questions, Comments, and Connections on my crazy new life abroad

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Some things I´ll Just Never get Used to...

Regardless of the amount of time I´ve now spent here, some things continue to amaze me, including,
*To get a dog to go away you make kissing noises at it. You can imagine how confusing that could be for an American dog. You can also imagine how sad I was when I first made kissing noises at a dog and he ran in the other direction.
*The buses in general are still a mystery to me. For instance, this morning the bus stopped for the stop in front of me and for some friends down the road from me, but didn´t even hesitate to pick me up. You just stand along side the road wherever you may find yourself and wave them down. Sometimes they stop and sometimes they don´t. Personal space on the bus is none existance, and if it weren´t for my ample stash of sand sanitizer I`d probably never ride them.
*The heat...I just had to throw that in for good measure.
*All the stores reuse their glass bottles, so anytime you purchase a drink you must then later return that bottle to the store it came from.
*People greet eachother on the street with "adios". And here I am confused why everyone is saying good bye to me when I never even said hello.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Sam your stories make me laugh. I think it is amazing that you are expressing such a different way of life. I hope your learning lots of Spanish. Miss you tons and I can't wait until I get to talk to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure! Keep writing Sam, I'm loving reading what you're up to! Sorry about the heat- it's been warm here too... although our definitions of "warm" and "hot" probably differ just a little bit right now! I'm willing a cool Colorado breeze in you're direction! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forwards to hearing how last week went in Isla Pucu...I saw it on a map but couln't find any pictures of the town or area. Only about another week before you find out where you will be going. Are you excited to find out? I know you don't want to leave the family you're with...it will be okay. Maybe you'll still get to see them. I missed talking to you this week. xoxox Mom
    p.s. The Anders leave for Costa Rica tomorrow. I hope they like it as much as you and Courtney did.

    ReplyDelete